Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pushy

With things back to normal, Paul called the disciples together and encouraged them to keep up the good work in Ephesus. Then, saying his good-byes, he left for Macedonia. Traveling through the country, passing from one gathering to another, he gave constant encouragement, lifting their spirits and charging them with fresh hope. Acts 20:1-2 (The Message)

As a creation of God, I somehow instinctively know that it is my purpose to worship and serve Him who created me, but like all humans since the beginning, I rebel and fight it. Rebellion seems somehow to be as innate a human character as doing what I was created to do. Just a day or two ago I viewed a short video on one of my favorite devotional websites, Simple Truths. The video was entitled “Even Eagles Need a PUSH”, written by David McNally. The video asks the question, “Why does the thrill of soaring have to begin with the fear of falling?”

The video states, “Until we discover our wings, there’s no purpose for our lives.” That line stopped me in my tracks; where have I heard that before? For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind. Isaiah 40:27 But even eagles don’t just wake up one morning and say this is the day I’m going to fly and jump out of the nest (sometimes hundreds or even thousands of feet in the air.) Even they need a push from a loving mother eagle.

Encouragement in the faith: the push. As McNally says: “The PUSH: sometimes we need it, sometimes we give it. It can be the greatest gift you can ever give [or receive.]” This is a good day to get a little pushy and be alert for someone who needs encouragement and even as important, be open and responsive to those who give it to me.

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment