Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Shortcuts

"Don't look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don't fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires total attention. Matthew 7:13 (The Message)

Whether it’s finding a way around that traffic delay or sheer boredom with the daily commute, I sometimes fall for “the shortcut” lure. Even equipped with the best maps, trusty Garman, and my automobile compass, it usually turns out poorly. I find out the alternate route is just as bad as the original route or has delays which would have made staying on the normal course more efficient.

There have been a number of books out lately which have, at least it seems to me, trying to sell me a surefire way to a successful life. Successful, in the book, is usually measured by material possessions, health, and happiness. They tell me if I’ll just belief hard enough and if I think the right way that I will be successful in this life and have everything that I want. While I certainly think that there are right and wrong ways to live and good and bad attitudes toward living it, it just seems to me that this is trying to take a shortcut to God’s will. GOD holds the high center, he sees and sets the world's mess right. He decides what is right for us earthlings, gives people their just deserts. Psalm 9:7 (The Message)

Is there a shortcut to Gods heart? I think so; it is reading, and inasmuch as possible understanding and living by his Word. Dear friend, listen well to my words; tune your ears to my voice. Keep my message in plain view at all times. Concentrate! Learn it by heart! Those who discover these words live, really live; body and soul, they're bursting with health. Proverbs 4:20 (The Message) Sticking with the tried and proven route will always get me there. Worked well for Moses and Paul, I’m sure it’ll work for me too.

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment