Friday, July 16, 2010

Three things to remember

“But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete." Luke 6:49

There’s an old joke that there are only three things that a man needs to know; who you are, where you’ve been, and what time it is. The punch line was that when guys arrive home in the wee hours of the morning after spending a late night reveling with friends, that there were three questions their wives will ask; who do you think you are coming in this late?, where have you been all night?, and do you have any idea what time it is? Unfortunately, there are some guys around who never got the point that those questions in that situation would be rhetorical and there would be no acceptable answers.

I’ve always remembered those three questions though. I’ve found that is good for me to continually ask of myself, “who am I?” Especially in regard to who it is God calls me to be. The Bible provides answers, from Genesis to Revelation. Now the question “where have I been” is only relevant as it relates to the general direction I now head from the origin of my journey with Christ, and begs the question, is my path HIS path? And finally, perhaps the most important question, what time is it? Not that it’s 5:00 PM on July 15th, but that I’m potentially a millisecond away from my eternity. I keep reminding myself that I don’t have until next Wednesday to make decisions that will impact my eternity, those must be made now. "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Mark 13:32

The questions are still relevant, and the answers are more important than ever, but in some ways just elusive as ever. At least I know where to look. And as long as I remember that it’s not so much about the journey as it is the destination, the answers just keep coming.

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment