Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fear the Lord

“Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all the people of the world revere him.” Psalm 33:8

I did a brief curiosity look at a show called “Fear Factor” a couple of years ago. It appeared that the whole idea of the show was to see how close the producers of the program could take the participants to experiencing cardiac arrest. Is that what people want; to be scared? Unless they’re being tempted by a lot of money, probably not. I believe most people want to trust that someone is watching out for them. That probably the only way most people could stand to watch it, trusting that the producers were watching out for the safety of the participants.

There have been several times in my life that I’ve been truly afraid. Usually it was due to some bonehead blunder of my own doing. But, but in a couple situations, circumstances far beyond my control brought calamity and potential disaster, and I did fear the consequences of what God might potentially bring into my life. I knew that he is in control and that whatever happens will be as he wills it. My real fear was that it might not be the outcome that I wanted.

Some times when we know that there is nothing more that we can do, all we can do is pray for strength and trust, with faith like David riding into battle saying, “Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.” Psalm 20:7.

So if I see someone today who needs encouragement, I’ll try to remember that the basis of my fear of God is in his awesome power and irrevocable plan for his creation. Then I pray I’ll do my best to put “the fear of God [Trust in God]” in them, too.

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment