Thursday, May 20, 2010

Peace of mind

“Let me understand the teaching of your precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders.” Psalm 119:27

Some situations in life require action, some contemplation. There are situations where quick thinking and immediate action are crucial to saving lives or to quickly resolve problems. In these situations, success is usually a result of anticipation, training, and experience; soldiers and paramedics will agree. As some of us have experienced, ingenuity and creativity can play a big part of success as well, I call it the “MacGyver syndrome.”

During the times when immediate action isn’t required, however, consider contemplation. For me the best technique for finding solutions to stressful situations is meditation. Meditation sounds scary to some men. I was once told if you know how to worry, you know how to meditate. When I worry, I take a problem and dwell on it ad nauseam, imagining every negative aspect that caused and could result from it.

When I meditate, I take the problem and hand it to Jesus, and ask him to, “hang on to this a minute.” Then I open my bible and pick a scripture, Psalms are great; Psalm 23 is my favorite. I read or recite the verse over and over until its words settle over my mind and heart. Then I ask myself what God is saying to me with regard to my current situation. Sometimes He tells me “there’s nothing you can do about this, just let me hold on to the ‘problem’ a while longer.” Sometimes He gives me insight to deal with the situation.

Jesus wants us to live at peace with each other and especially with ourselves, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment