Monday, May 24, 2010

The right path

“You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalm 16:11

Boy Scouts still learn a very important subject, Orienteering. It teaches Scouts how to navigate using a map and compass. Using a compass is almost a lost art with the proliferation of Global Positioning System (GPS) devices, even built into watches now. My life training, whether military exercises, scout outings or family vacations, has convinced me that there will always be a need to know: Where I am? Where I’m going? And, what is the best way to get there?

Our culture addresses men’s lives with a lot emphasis on where we are (or where we aren’t) and shows us the quick and easy path to get somewhere else. There isn’t a lot of emphasis on helping guys determine where it is we really want or need to go. Robert Lewis’s, “The Great Adventure”, a part of his “Men’s Fraternity” men’s study series, helps men focus on that ‘where am I going’ question. I realized, after participating in the study, that I needed to examine that question at a much deeper level than the desired end state of my retirement fund or the contents of my ‘Will.’

Once I had a firm fix on my final goal of spending eternity with my Father in heaven, I put together a list of bench marks for my remaining years, and the focus of my direction became much clearer. The walk I take, even with Christ can get tricky too, but Jesus provided a very clear illustration, the parable of the sower, to help me understand what I’m facing. Read the account in Luke 8:4-15. Then, “Listen, my son, and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path. Proverbs 23:19 It’s my choice, and yours guys, to choose the right path, or navigate to it.

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment