Friday, May 21, 2010

Life worth living, life worth giving

“Be generous: Invest in acts of charity. Charity yields high returns. Don't hoard your goods; spread them around. Be a blessing to others. This could be your last night.” Ecclesiastes 11:1-2 (The Message)

Two things that I’ve noticed as I’ve grown older; first, my desire for earthly stuff has not diminished; I still have visions of owning a big boat. Secondly, my desires are much easier to set aside to satisfy the overwhelming basic needs of others. God wants goodness for my life, but he doesn’t want me focused on “things” in my life. He wants me focused on Him.

I recently read a devotional, the “Thought for the Day” on the National Coalition of Men’s Ministries Website, entitled Spoiled Child. It essentially said that I am spoiled by my possessions if I have an attitude of ungratefulness for them. It seems that the more grateful I am for the blessings in my life, the more I want to help others experience fulfillment in their lives. Jesus reminded his disciples “The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want…” Mark 14:7 He reminds us here that our real act of sacrifice is in worshiping and serving Him, and that serving the poor is something we can and should always do. Then, also as we serve the poor we serve honor Jesus’ desire for our lives to “Love one another.”

God has been very good to me in so many ways. That is not to be construed as boldness as I know at any moment I could face a “Job” reckoning. But I default to wise Solomon’s suggestion: “Be generous to the poor – you’ll never go hungry; shut your eyes to their needs, and run a gauntlet of curses.” Proverbs 28:27 Solomon always had a way of getting right to the point didn’t he?

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment