Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Kicking the tree

“for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.” James 1:20

I was about 9 years old, bicycling down the gravel driveway of my rural Madison County home, the most enjoyable childhood summer activity that I remember. Suddenly, my front tire struck a large rock in the driveway. I lost control of my bicycle and glanced off a large oak tree and was knocked to the ground. Jumping to my feet and with all the energy I had, I kicked that tree. Seems I’ve spent a lot of my life kicking trees.

According to William R Fraser, DO, Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, in the US, 16 million people are treated annually in emergency rooms for hand injuries. Most are reactions to stressful situations of which an angry person is often not even aware. There is a lot of truth to what Nurse Elizabeth Kenney said, “He who angers you conquers you." Solomon said, “A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.” Proverbs 29:11. Ouch, that hurts!

Of course, being angry is not in and of itself bad; Jesus gave us several illustrations of “righteous anger”, demonstrating that there are right and wrong reasons to be angry as well as appropriate ways to demonstrate that anger. What I try to ask myself when I start to get angry is my anger sinful? King David said, “In your anger do not sin…” Psalm 4:4. Paul challenges us even more broadly to, “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” Ephesians 4:31-32. It’s going to take a real man to do that, I pray I’m up to the task today.

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment