Friday, June 11, 2010

The bold and the blusterer

“If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.” 2 Corinthians 11:30

There are, in my way of thinking, two kinds of weaknesses. There is the powerless weakness and the voluntary weakness. I think one of the most difficult challenges in reading the bible, as it talks about weakness, is to understand differences. Otherwise, and some try to do this, one might assume that we are told to be wimps. God is a warrior (Exodus 15:3) and we are made in his image (Genesis 1:27.) Christ instructed us to turn the other cheek (Matthew 5:39), but we’re also instructed to be prepared to fight for our faith (Luke 22:36-37.) The difficulty is differentiating between the causes: ourselves (the former) and others, especially the weak (the latter.)

I evaluate those who wield power, including myself when applicable, based on how they treat the weak; Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble. Psalm 41 And I operate with the knowledge that we all have our weaknesses, especially of the flesh (Matthew 26:41) My barometer of my own weakness is whether I allow sin to overpower Christ’s desire for his will for me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

I pray that I will, this day and always, be bold for Christ and not for myself. That I as a man can be a warrior and a bold advocate of the weak knowing God is by my side, But the LORD is with me like a mighty warrior; Jeremiah 20:11

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment