Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Now I see

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.” Matthew 7:3&5

It seems that I am constantly bombarded with messages about how wretched someone or some group is and how out of touch with a Biblical worldview they are. And most of the time I can understand the position from which the writer or speaker is striking out. I often see that the subject of the criticism is not approaching an issue from what nominally might be considered to be a Christ follower’s perspective.

Yes, I concur there are many people not living Christ focused lives and are leading others, voluntarily or involuntarily, down the same misguided path they are taking. But sometimes I have to slow down and step back when I realize I’m elevating myself through this mental transaction to a position of moral superiority of judging a person and not the outcomes and affects of their actions. This self righteousness enters my thoughts so subtly that I sometimes don’t even recognize it.

It’s so radical to the way the world wants me to think, that sometimes I just don’t know what to do with it, but Jesus did say, “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Luke 6:37. It’s so countercultural that I find it almost painful to “love my enemies.” God calls me to arms to do battle with evil, but not to enact revenge, in word or action, on another, that I’m leaving to Him. Mahatma Gandhi said, "An eye for an eye just makes the whole world blind." Today I’m going to keep prying on that stubborn plank.

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment