Friday, June 18, 2010

Peripheral living

Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. Psalm 86:11

I went to a movie theater a while back. Before the show started, a very nice young man walked to the front of the theater and a voice exuding the confidence of his full 16 years of age announced, “Let me have your attention please.” I felt a sense of presence from him that I hadn’t felt from the messages flashing on the giant screen in front of me. I actually stopped cramming popcorn into my face to listen. Not everyone in the theater was so captured and there was still a hum of voices which almost distracted me from the warning of dire consequences should I fail to mute my cell phone.

It reminded me of how difficult it is to remain undivided in the world today. There are so many choices, so many options, and so many decisions. As an undiagnosed ADD child, focus and concentration are two things I constantly struggle to maintain. Too often my focus has been on the wrong things; career and leisure, and even obsessive attention to family and church. All these things are important, but aren’t what God wants. He wants from me my undivided heart and mind so that I can hear and see his truth. Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” Matthew 22:37

It has taken me a while but I finally realize that my focus must be on the center of the throne of God, “For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." Revelation 7:17 The rest of my life is guided by the Spirit and the Word, but essentially peripheral.

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment