Thursday, June 10, 2010

Out of the frying pan

"But look!" he said. "I see four men, walking around freely in the fire, completely unharmed! And the fourth man looks like a son of the gods!" Daniel 3:25 (The Message)

What a rollercoaster ride it was for Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah a.k.a. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. Taken captive from Jerusalem when God delivered Judah into the hands of Babylon in about the year 605 B.C., they were given important positions in Nebuchadnezzar’s court (Daniel 1). But when they refused to worship the gold statue god of Nebuchadnezzar’s, they were thrown into a blazing hot furnace.

I have never had my physical life in peril for believing in Christ, unlike millions of Christians around the world will today. But as for my soul; that is a different matter. Every day is a battle with temptation and to follow in Christ’s path. I’ve often figuratively had my “feet held to the fire”, but never has my life been in jeopardy. Standing firm in my faith and beliefs is not comfortable or easy sometimes but it’s necessary to avoid the eternal fire. “If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.” John 15:6

I pray that if it ever comes to putting Christ ahead of my physical body, I’ll have the strength of conviction and belief to say as Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego said: ”If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it,…. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." Daniel 3:17-18

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment