Monday, June 14, 2010

Re-gifting

If you start thinking to yourselves, "I did all this. And all by myself. I'm rich. It's all mine!"—well, think again. Remember that GOD, your God, gave you the strength to produce all this wealth so as to confirm the covenant that he promised to your ancestors—as it is today. Deuteronomy 8:17-18

A practice which, has probably gone on for years unacknowledged has a name today; re-gifting. It’s when I take a gift given to me and give it to someone who I think needs it more. Yes, and sometimes because I just don’t like, want, or need it.

I heard a story recently of Indy Colt’s wide receiver Reggie Wayne’s ex-girlfriend’s stealing his credit card and charging over $90,000. She used the money to buy things and pay bills for her friends and family. The worst part of the whole story, in my opinion, was her explanation for doing it. She said, “I just like doing things for people.”

I thought to myself, “the ludicrousness of that notion.” How could someone say “they” were gifting another when they were doing it with someone else’s wealth? But after thinking about this a little more it occurred to me that what I give away is actually re-gifting what God has enabled me to have.

I thought, “but if someone takes from me, even if to give it away, it’s theft.” Then I received the conviction from God that if I accept a gift from him and give it away without acknowledging its origin, I’m doing the same thing as the ex-girlfriend. I have God’s blessing to acquire wealth, but I also have the responsibility to be thankful. “in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:6 and to re-gift what he’s provided "The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same." Luke 3:11

How amazing it would be if everyone considered all their wealth a gift from God to be shared, like in Acts 4:32. I suffer no delusion that the devil will allow that to become a reality. Until then I’ll just continue to praise God for the strength he’s given me to produce wealth and re-gift as much of it as possible.

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment