Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gear up

“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Ephesians 6:12

I made a relatively harmless and completely honest mistake yesterday. It was in an instant where I was so focused on what was next on my agenda that I didn’t properly finish the project on which I was working. I didn’t realize it for several hours when it was too late to correct the error. That caused the rest of my day to be “ate up” with frustration, self ridicule, and worry. I totally took my eye off the “prize “and got bogged down in a knot in the wood; so much for yesterdays laser focus. It seemed the harder I tried to let it go, the more the incident permeated my thoughts, words and actions.

I knew that the Evil One was working in all of my angst, but was too consumed with my thoughts to remember how to fight it properly. I think I spent the rest of the day swinging at the air and flailing about trying unsuccessfully to fight him. I find it totally amazing that I can be so aware of Jesus’ watchful care for me always to the end (Matthew 28:20) and yet in a time of stress I can forget the battle resources I have available.

I suppose it’s like anything it comes with practice; remembering to put on the ‘Armor of God’ every day. If I’m going to be in battle every day it makes sense that I need to be armed and ready with the “belt of truth, breastplate of righteousness, shield of faith, helmet of salvation, and sword of the Spirit” (Ephesians 6:14-17) Now that I remember my military days, after wearing a kevlar helmet for a few days, I would sometimes forget I was wearing it. And when I’d take it off, it felt like it was still on my head, a reminder to put it back on. Hmmm…I wonder if…

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment