Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Just a moment, please

"…’Yes, I am coming soon.’ Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.” Revelation 22:20

OK, I’ll admit that I have a certain level of impatience and intolerance for delayed gratification. It’s not a unique trait of mine, but I’ve noticed in me how that seeking of self gratification has translated into intolerance for delayed justice. I can relate to King David’s plea in Psalm 94, “Rise up, O Judge of the earth; pay back to the proud what they deserve.”

The reality check that the Bible gives me is that some people will never get what they deserve here on earth; good or bad. In fact many will get what they don’t deserve for following Christ. “If anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity he will go. If anyone is to be killed with the sword, with the sword he will be killed. This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the saints.” Revelation 13:9-10

One of the most dreaded four word phrases to me is: “Just a moment, please.” Whether I’m on the phone with a help desk or in line at the bank it implies something else must happen before my expectations are fulfilled. I constantly get reminded as I read the scriptures, ‘just a moment, please’; “Therefore wait for me," declares the LORD "for the day I will stand up to testify.” Zephaniah 3:8

The most poignant message I’ve received comes from Luke 12:35 (The Message.) "Keep your shirts on; keep the lights on! Be like house servants waiting for their master to come back from his honeymoon, awake and ready to open the door when he arrives and knocks.” So there you have it, God’s challenge; “keep your shirt on, I’m coming.”

Bless you brothers, live this day in peace, in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment